"In his recent "That's just the way it is" post on Jester's Trek, blogger Ripard Teg posits that the established EVE player-base has come to accept many of EVE's design idiosyncrasies, rarely questioning their purpose or benefit. Conversely, he also suggests that new players might not be so forgiving of these "quirks". In an interview with Gamasutra, Senior Producer CCP Unifex describes EVE Online's developers as "relatively hands-off janitors of the virtual world", underlining that he has only four content developers but "a lot" of programmers and engineers.
Has a culture developed where CCP has started to take player effort for granted - expecting the "social engine" to fulfil tasks that might otherwise be CCP's responsibility? Or should this culture be embraced as part of "emergent gameplay" with these quirks accepted as the catalyst for interaction?"
As always, the question has been sent to everyone on the Blog Banter mailing list, but the discussion is open to all. Please take the time to read the many and varied entries and to share your opinion with those bloggers who pique your interest. For more info on how blog banters work, read this.
For the real meat, the following butchers of the unknowable have already carved their cuts of truth from the carcass of controversy.
The conversation was already in flow with these two juxtaposed opinions:
- That's just the way it is by Ripard Teg @ Jester's Trek
- We Need Those Face-Palm Moments by Poetic Stanziel @ Poetic Discourse
The continuing bloggery:
- EVE blog banter 38 by allianc @ myFAMC
- Tilting the Balance, Part 1 and Part 2 by Rhavas @ Interstellar Privateer
- Everyone's a Critic by Zeric Sarain @ Overheat Everything
- Witness to Change by Emergent Patroller
- Fixing Stuff Can Break Stuff by Drackarn @ Sand, Cider and Spaceships
- Sandbox Jenga by Firstly @ Flying Silent
- Dogmatic, Not Automatic by Adhar Khorin @ Margin Call
- It is what we make it by Mike Azariah @ A Missioneer in Eve
- All Our Worlds Your Stage by TurAmarth ElRandir @ A Carbon Based Life
- The Canvas Game by Rixx Javix @ EVEOGANDA
- Blog Banter #38 by Roc Wieler @ Roc's Ramblings
- Tweaking the Machine by Winterblink @ Warp Drive Active
- Designing the Future Experience by Seismic Stan @ Freebooted
- Some things will never change by Morphisat @ Morphisat's Blog
- Minds of their Own by Kirith Kodachi @ Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah
- Who makes the story? by James Stephens @ Inanity and Doom
- Vanilla Custard and the Triple Chocolate Gateau of Doom...! by H @ Aggressive Logistics
- Small improvements make a difference by Virto Nex @ Cannon Fodder
- Do it yourself by The Scientist @ A Scientist's Life in EVE
- A Decade of EVE by Mandrill @ KeithNeilson.co.uk
- Jamming by blastradius1 @ Blastrad tales
- Creative Anarchy: A Blog Banter by Memoocan @ Progression's Horizon
- CCP and its Laurels by EveHermit @ EveHermit's Blog
Also check out the excellent responses from the EVE-O forum community in these associated threads: