As with all things Gallente, their ship designs exude elegance and style. The Tristan is no different, with it's unique chassis it stands out from the fleet. Every line and curve has been shaped as a statement of panache, showing it's owner to be a pilot of taste. The captain of an FGCM Tristan would be perceived as an erudite individual worthy of respect.
At Freeboot and Green Customisation and Modification, we are proud to bring you bespoke loadouts to suit every occasion. Not content with providing effective and dynamic module arrangements, our FGCM interior design specialists offer the highest standard of luxury internal decor, with a multitude of options from leather upholstery to the latest chrome trim, your Tristan would not only fulfil your every desire, it would be the envy of other space-farers.
The Role of Combat Frigates
Frigates are the smallest class of pilotable combat vessel in common usage and as such are often underestimated. With an appropriately trained captain at the helm, frigates are an invaluable asset that can fulfil a variety of roles unique to their class. With their small size, great maneouverability and speed and their simplicity of fitting, frigates can be a great benefit to fleets as scouts and interceptors, but also find use in wolfpacks and as formidable solo vessels in the right hands.
An additional boon is that frigates tend to be far more affordable than larger vessels and the training requirements are significantly lower than many larger ship classes. However, for best performance, it is recommended that the captain (and crew where appropriate) endeavour to train to the highest possible standard in all relevant disciplines.
The official press release for the Tristan states;
“Often nicknamed The Fat Man this nimble little frigate is mainly used by the Federation in escort duties or on short-range patrols. The Tristan has been very popular throughout Gallente space for years because of its versatility. It is rather expensive, but buyers will definitely get their money's worth, as the Tristan is one of the more powerful frigates available on the market.
Gallente Frigate Skill Bonus: 5% bonus to Small Hybrid Turret damage and 7.5% bonus to Small Hybrid Turret tracking speed per skill level.”
As with any vessel, your Tristan will perform to it's strengths only if used appropriately. Every module loadout is designed with a specific purpose in mind and should be used in that manner in order to obtain maximum benefit. However, in almost all cases, the following points should be adhered to:
- Assess any combat environment before engaging. Be aware of the limitations of both vessel and pilot.
- Maintain optimum speed at all times - it is harder for the enemy to hit a moving target.
- Moving directly toward or away from incoming fire is almost like sitting still. Move across incoming fire (ie. optimise transversal velocity) to reduce incoming damage.
- Attempt to orbit each target at your optimal weapon range to maximise damage output.
- Monitor your capacitor levels constantly. Empty capacitors kill ships. Do not run active modules when not required.
- Examine existing skills to find performance improvement options.
In the FGCM workshop, our design specialists take great pride in making ships that are accessible to pilots of all skill levels. As such, not all of the following designs would be considered optimum for experienced pilots and have been designed with the novice pilot in mind. When fitting for sub-optimal fitting skills, ship resources are at a premium and in order to assemble an effective fit, high quality 'meta 4' equipment is often required as they tend to provide more performance for a lower CPU and powergrid demand.
A further note on 'tanking': Many vessels lend themselves to a particular protection system, primarily shield or armour. The key indicators of which system is optimal are as follows;
- Module Slot Arrangement. Shield enhancements generally require mid-slots, whereas armour improvements are low-slot modules. Clearly a vessel with many of one slot type and few of another will favour a particular type of 'tank'. The Tristan has three of each slot type so offers some versatility in this regard.
- Baseline Values. Prior to fitting, every vessel has a baseline shield and armour value. A significant difference between these values would indicate a preference toward a particular protection system. The Tristan has a higher base armour value, so an armour tank is arguably the optimum loadout.
- Ship Bonuses. Every hull type is manufactured with a general purpose in mind and affords bonuses to specific module types. It is recommended to make use of these bonuses whenever possible as they can provide significant performance improvements. The Tristan has bonuses to the use of Hybrid Turrets (see Tristan Strengths above).
- Intended Use. A vessel should always be fitted with a specific purpose in mind and the module arrangement should reflect this. When combating large groups of low-threat targets [PvE missions] a durable tank is premium. In capsuleer combat [PvP] mid-slot fitted tackling modules such as webifiers and warp scramblers are essential, making low-slot armour modules typically the most workable option.
Named due to an workshop in-joke (PAssive SHIeld TAnk was the design brief), the Papa was designed with mission survivability in mind. With an impressive passive shield recharge rate and effective resistances across the board, the Papa can hold the line against incoming fire as it closes down targets to unleash significant damage with it's mid-range weapon systems.
Role: Solo Combat Mission Tank
Effective Hit Points: 5,000hp approx.
Tank Type: Passive recharge with active resists (45-50hp per second recharge rate)
Optimal Weapon Range: 4,000 metres
Damage: 60hp per volley, 54hp damage per second
Top Speed: 768 metres per second
Capacitor: 4+ minutes with all active modules running.
High Slots: 2x 75mm Prototype I Gauss Gun (Antimatter Charge), 2x 'Arbalest' Rocket Launcher I (Gremlin Rockets)
Med. Slots: Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction, Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters, V-M15 Braced Multispectral Shield Matrix
Low Slots: F85 Peripheral Damage System I, Beta Reactor Control: Shield Power Relay I, Beta Reactor Control: Diagnostic System I
Rigs: 3x Small Core Defence Field Purger I
APPROXIMATE MARKET VALUE: 15.5m isk
- All statistics shown are derived from a pilot with low to moderate skill level. With improvement, the Papa Shita can become capacitor stable with a damage output of 86 DPS and a top speed of 950m/s.
- Capacitor stability can be achieved by deactivating the afterburner or hybrid turrets. In practice, firing does not occur constantly as a new target is approached, allowing the capacitor to recharge. Therefore capacitor stability is generally not an issue even at low skill levels.
- The V-M15 Braced Multispectral Shield Matrix (Invulnerability Field) can be replaced with mission-specific shield hardeners to suit.
- For increased damage, consider replacing the hybrid railguns with short-range blasters. However, this will significantly reduce the optimal range and may be counter-productive when considering additional time required to close.
The Hermit is so-called because it lives on the outer edge of the field of frigate combat, utilising it's long range weaponry to whittle down the enemy or provide supporting fire. Capacitor stable even whilst running it's microwarp drive, this Tristan is capable of outrunning everything else on the field, dictating range and dividing enemy fleets.
Role: Combat Mission Artillery Support
Effective Hit Points: 3,000hp +
Tank Type: Speed Tank/Shield Buffer Tank
Optimal Weapon Range: 22,000 metres
Damage: 64hp volley damage/37hp damage per second
Top Speed: 2036 metres per second
Capacitor: Stable with all modules running.
High Slots: 2x 150mm Prototype I Gauss Gun (Iridium Charge), 2x 'Malkuth' Rocket Launcher I (Sabretooth Missiles)
Med. Slots: Small Azeotropic Ward Salubrity I, Catalyzed Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters, Viscoelastic EM Ward Salubrity
Low Slots: F85 Peripheral Damage System I, Photonic CPU Enhancer I, Mark I Generator Refitting: Diagnostic System
Rigs: 2x Small Ancillary Current Router I, 1x Small Hybrid Locus Coordinator I
APPROXIMATE MARKET VALUE: 5.3m isk
- All statistics shown are derived from a pilot with low to moderate skill level. With improvement, the Hermit can achieve speeds in excess of 2,500 metres per second and deliver 56hp DPS. Also, the Hermit can dispense with one of the powergrid-enhancing Small Ancillary Current Routers and fit another rig to suit.
- The Viscoelastic EM Ward Salubrity (Shield Resistance Amplifier) can be replaced with mission specific resistance modules to suit.
- Pilots should be mindful that use of the microwarp drive will cause a 5-fold increase in signature bloom, presenting a much easier target. Should the optimum firing range of 22km still result in incoming fire causing damage, consider attempting to maintain optimum range without it's use.
With the unkind references to the Tristan's resemblance to a fat android, the naming of this ship becomes all the more appropriate for it's ability to stop a hostile vessel in it's tracks. Designed for extremely close range combat, the Treacle cripples the target's speed with it's webifier, allowing the devastating high-damage volleys to inflict full damage, consuming the enemy in short order.
Role: Combat Mission Damage-Dealer/PvP Tackle Support
Effective Hit Points: 3,438hp
Tank Type: Active Armour Tank
Optimal Weapon Range: 700 metres
Damage: 70hp volley damage/68hp damage per second.
Top Speed: 732 metres per second
Capacitor: Stable with all modules running.
High Slots: 2x Modal Light Electron Particle Accelerator I (Antimatter Charges), 2x 'Arbalest' Rocket launcher I (Gremlin Rockets)
Med. Slots: Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters, X5 Prototype I Engine Enervator, Eutectic I Capacitor Charge Array
Low Slots: 200mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I, Small 'Accommodation' Vestment Reconstructer I, Damage Control I
Rigs: 3x Small Capacitor Control Circuit I
APPROXIMATE MARKET VALUE: 6.1m isk
- All statistics shown are derived from a pilot with low to moderate skill level. With improvement, the Hermit can achieve speeds in excess of 900 metres per second and deliver over 100hp of damage per second.
- Achieving a tight enough orbit to attain optimum range can be difficult at high speeds. Disengaging the afterburner can assist in this regard once the target has been immobilised with the webifier.
- As an armour tanking vessel, the initial loss of shields is inconsequential. The captain should monitor the rate of armour loss (if any) with the armour repairer running to determine engagement outcome. If in doubt, retreat.
Following the workshop naming convention in the same way as the Papa Shita, the SHIeld Tanking CApacitor Neutraliser has been designed with a specific purpose in mind; to cripple enemy vessels by draining their capacitor, disabling all capacitor-dependent systems. The Shit Can is highly effective when working in conjuction with a damage-dealer against capacitor-dependent ships, for example those that rely on laser weaponry or active tanking techniques.
Role: PvP Combat Support (Capacitor Neutralisation)
Effective Hit Points: 2,480hp
Tank Type: Speed Tank, Shield Buffer Tank
Optimal Weapon Range: 6,000 metres
Damage: 7hp DPS (drones), Significant capacitor draining abilities.
Top Speed: 2036 metres per second
Capacitor: 5mins+ when operating all modules on an enemy target.
High Slots: 2x Small Unstable Power Fluctuator I, 2x Small Diminishing Power System Drain I
Med. Slots: Small F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction, Catalyzed Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters, Viscoelastic EM Ward Salubrity
Low Slots: 3x Mark I Generator Refitting: Diagnostic System
Rigs: 3x Small Capacitor Control Circuit I
APPROXIMATE MARKET VALUE: 5.9m isk